Twenty Indian Army soldiers were martyred during violent clashes which erupted along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh’s Galwan Valley on the intervening night of June 15 and 16. People’s Liberation Army of China reportedly suffered 43 casualties. However, there is no official confirmation on the fatalities suffered by the Chinese Army. The Indian Army said, “Seventeen Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at stand-off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20.”
The Indian Army added, “It is firmly committed to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation.” Troops of both the armies have now disingaged. Reports also surfaced that there was an increase in Chinese chooper activities across the LAC to airlift casualties suffered by them during the face-off. The clashed broke out after Indin Army’s patrol team reached 14 Patrolling Point to verify if the Chinese troops had withdrwan from the area. The PLA soldiers then launched an offensive. Col B Santosh Babu, CO of 16 Bihar Regiment, Among Three Indian Army Personnel Martyred During Violent Face-Off With Chinese Troops in Ladakh’s Galwan Valley.
Earlier in the day, there were reports that a commanding officer of 16 Bihar Regiment – Col B Santosh Babu and two soldiers of the Indian Army lost their lives in the clashes. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of India in a statement said that the Chinese forces attempted to enter the Indian territory to “unilaterally change the status quo”. The MEA stated, “Both sides suffered casualties that could have been avoided had the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side.” Indian and Chinese troops were engaged in an eyeball-to-eyeball situation in Galwan Valley for the last five weeks.