On February 14, India lost over 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel in a suicide attack in Awantipora of Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district. Jaish-e-Mohammed claimed responsibility for the attack. The 22-year-old Adil Ahmed Dar carried out the attack. He rammed his car carrying 80 kgs of explosive into one of the buses of the convoy. Naik Buta Singh Martyred While Serving at 2nd Highest Post in Sikkim, Air India Staff, Passengers Stand Up to Honour Indian Army Soldier, Watch Video
A day after the attack, India scrapped the ‘Most Favoured Nation’ status from Pakistan. India also accelerated the process to isolate Pakistan globally. Countries around the globe condemned the attack and asked the Pakistan to stop providing safe haven to terrorists. Meanwhile, Pakistan’s all-weather ally China ducked the question of supporting India in declaring Azhar Masood, the JeM chief a global terrorist. While paying homage to the martyrs, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a wow to give befitting reply to the perpetrators of the attack. However, Pakistan refused any hand in the attack.
In December 1999, Masood along with two other terrorists were released after terrorists hijacked the Indian Airlines Flight 814 scheduled to fly from Kathmandu to Delhi, and diverted it to Kandahar, where they were looked after by the Afghan Taliban and the Pakistani officials stationed at the airport. Masood then formed the JeM with the help of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
Major terrorist attacks by JeM apart from Pulwama Attack of February 14:
- On April 20, 2000, JeM carried out the first suicide bombing in Kashmir, exploding a bomb in an Indian army barracks. Five Indian soldiers were martyred in the attack.
- In October 2001, JeM carried out a bombing near the Jammu and Kashmir legislative assembly, killing 38 people and claiming responsibility for it.
- In December 2001, JeM and Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists launched a suicide attack on the Indian Parliament in which eight security personnel were martyred.
- In January 2016, the group attacked on the Pathankot air base in which seven security personnel were martyred.
- In September 2016, JeM terrorists attacked the Indian brigade headquarters in Uri. A total of 19 Indian soldiers were martyred in the attack. After the attack, the Indian Army conducted surgical strike in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK).